Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Super Cute DIY Crayon Costumes

I'm going to go back in time a bit with this post, but I wanted to share the cute (if I do say so myself!) costumes I made for the girls to wear to their Halloween celebration at daycare last year.

I wish I could claim credit for this wonderful idea, but I can't. I stole the idea got my inspiration from the October 2009 issue of Parents magazine (see online article/instructions HERE).


Crayons costume
Courtesy Parents.com

{I won't repeat the instructions seen at the link above as they are already nicely detailed, but I will note that I adjusted my measurements a bit to fit my girls better. Boogey was only 1.5 at the time so hers really needed to be compressed and made smaller.}

 
First I bought matching shirts and pants from Old Navy (on sale, of course!). Then I went to Michaels where I got 2 sheets (8.5 x 11, I think) of black self-adhesive felt and one package of black self-stick felt letters (I think I bought 2" letters).  

I ended up having to improvise a bit with my letters since I didn't have quite enough to make all of my words (and I certainly wasn't going to pay for 2 packs of letters! I'm cheap frugal, remember?? LOL). For example, I turned the "Z" sideways to make the "N" for "pink". And I used an upside down "V" and a piece of extra felt to make an "A". And a number zero was substituted as an "O".

I also didn't bother to make the hats - I knew they would NEVER stay on my toddler girls so didn't want to waste my time or the supplies.

Once again, this was pre-blogdom, so I don't have any photos of the process {SORRY!!}, but here they are posing the final product.

SweetPea and Boogey 2009


Boogey was "Pink"


SweetPea was "Magenta"

(I couldn't resist posting this one - could she BE any cuter??)

And the bonus of the whole thing... the next day, I simply peeled off all the felt and was able to use the shirts and pants as a regular outfit!

This post has been linked the following parties (also see Linky Parties Tab above)
These Creative Juices
Its So Very Cheri
The Thrifty Home
House of Hepworths
Between U & Me
Somewhat Simple
The Shabby Chic Cottage
A Little Knick Knack
Remodelaholic
While He Was Napping
Craft Envy
Be Different, Act Normal
Under the Table and Dreaming
Between Naps on the Porch
Sew Many Mamas
What Allie's Making Now

Entertain Exchange
 
Linking this project up to the CSI Project's DIY Halloween Costumes Challenge
Visit thecsiproject.com

 


Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. Kyra, what a great idea! I might... steal... this. FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! How cute!! Fab idea! Visiting from It's So Very Cheri! I'm your newest follower btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Your girls look adorable! My hubby was a crayon when he was a kid so this hits home for me. You did a great job.

    Amie @ http://www.kittycatsandairplanes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are absolutely darling! What a great idea! I found you on It's So Very Cheri. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! That's too cute! I would have loved to have that when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are super-cute! I posted right after you on the Remodelholics Hop with a post titled Crayon Making DISASTER! Lol, what are the odds? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They really are SUPER cute. Adorable. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is soo cute! What a good idea! I'd love for you to come link up to my party this weekend. You've got a fantastic blog.

    whilehewasnapping.blogspot.com

    Hope to see you there,
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for linking with While He Was Napping. I'm definitely filing this one away until I have a few more kiddos to make crayons from! Hope you'll join us again next weekend!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are really cute!
    You should come link this to Making It With Allie!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! How cute are these?!? So stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi There! I am your newest follower!! I found you on the weekend linky! I love finding new blogs and your is lovely:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    These costumes are so cute

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was hoping you'd link this to the costume contest! I absolutely love it! Thanks!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute costumes!

    Submit them in my Handmade Halloween Contest - starts now!

    Susan,
    http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/
    Party and Entertaining Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! I remember in Jr. High school a boy in my class was a #2 pencil : ) We'd love for you to link up to our Homemade Halloween link party!
    http://www.sewmanymamas.com/2010/10/easy-halloween-costume.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and enjoy visiting your blogs in return!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...