Monday, October 18, 2010

Organizing the Kids - Dishes edition

So with 2 kids who are only 15 months apart (who annoyingly need to eat 3 times a day!) (jk!) we have always had TONS of bottles, sippy cups, "big girl" cups, bowls, plates, spoons, forks, etc. etc. etc.  For those of you with kids, you know how quickly all of these plastic items can TAKE. OVER. YOUR. LIFE! 

We've always kept all of this stuff in a cabinet. And as much as I tried to keep it organized, it was always in this general state of disarray...

Bowls and (some) Plates by the stove
Cups, (more) plates, utensils and who knows what! over by the sink

WOW! That is just scary!!
(I'm so embarrassed!)

Not only was this "system" a mess, the fact that everything was up high meant that the girls couldn't be self-sufficient and get their own dishes ready for a meal. Obviously this hasn't been an issue for the past couple of years, but now that they are getting a little older (almost 4 and 2 1/2) I figured they should be able to get their own dishes and utensils. So I cleared out one of the drawers in our island and then headed to Target. (ok, ok, I didn't actually run out to Target that day - things just aren't that easy in our household! LOL But I was there a few days later for something else so I checked out the organization section at that time!).

I found these containers and knew they would be perfect! I think they're supposed to be used in a storage cube but knew they would be fine for me, just the way they were.



When I got home I put them in the drawer (which is really more like a sliding shelf since it is so shallow). NICE!!


The narrow one in front JUST fits which is actually kind of nice since the tight fit keeps it from moving which then keeps the bins in the back from shifting back and forth when you open and close the drawer.

(ok so I'll admit that the drawer stayed empty like this for about 3 days)  (*sigh*)

Then I finally moved everything the stuff they use the most out of the cabinets and down to the drawer. And.... TA-DAAA!


(Semi) Organized! Yay!

Now the girls can go to the drawer and get their own dishes. No more "I don't want THAT cup!" or "That is the wrong color spoon!" or "Why does SHE get the blue bowl?!?". Now they can help themselves to the color/style/shape they want and hopefully make everyone's life a little bit easier. 

Bwahahahaha! 


But it is worth a shot! ;-)


This project submitted to THE CSI Project Challenge: Organization

Visit thecsiproject.com



Linking up to these parties (also see their buttons at the "Linky Parties" Tab above):
Somewhat Simple
The SHabby Chic Cottage
Its so Very Cherry
A Little Knick Knack
Remodelaholic
Under the Table and Dreaming
Organize and Decorate Everything



HOUSEOFGRACE


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. This is a genius idea, and I totally need to do this as kid cutlery is taking over my friggin life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with NiceGirlNotes - kid cutlery is everywhere! Nice idea to make the shelf on a level the kids can access themselves.

    Visiting from A Little Knick Knack's EBTKS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Can't wait the day to throw all the kids sippy cups/plastic plates/plastic spoons & forks away for good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic idea! I've got my my son's bowls and plates down low for him, but they are still a total mess. It's always a game of "try to shut the cabinet door before another plate slides out." And his cups are a whole 'nother mess up high, and the kiddie silverware is mixed in with ours. I love that you kept it all together to encourage self-sufficiency. (It's at least worth a shot, like you said!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great. I love that the kids can get their own things when they need too. Thanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday. Hope to see you again next party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree...it's great to give them their own little cabinet to get stuff in and out! My kids are older now, but still use it for their plastic stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and enjoy visiting your blogs in return!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...